Number of offspring
1 foal (rarely 2)
Did you know…
- The domesticated donkey descends from the African wild ass, which is now only found in a few places in Northeast Africa.
- The African wild ass is among the rarest mammals on Earth!
- Donkeys are in the same family as horses and zebras.
- It is estimated that the first donkeys were domesticated around 10,000-12,000 years ago.
- The African wild ass can survive with a massive water loss of up to 30% of its body weight and recover the significant loss within 2-5 minutes after drinking water.
- On hot days, donkeys cool themselves down by dissipating heat through their long ears.
- Donkey hooves are narrower than horse hooves, which provides them with a more secure footing but makes them slower than horses.
- Donkeys’ loud braying sounds can be heard up to 3 km away.
- The donkeys are the first animals you will see when entering the park because they are great at welcoming guests. Meet the donkeys at Maglemermarken.