Open landscapes/savannas in Southern and Eastern Africa
1.90 – 2.70 meters
Lays eggs for approximately 40 days
Did you know that…
- The male is black and white, while the female is gray-brown.
- The ostrich has large eyes that take up half of the space in its head.
- The ostrich’s brain is small, about the size of a walnut, weighing around 40 grams.
- It is a myth that ostriches bury their heads in the sand when they are scared. Ostriches actually run away if they are frightened.
- Ostriches, emus, and rheas will eat almost anything that shines, such as bottle caps, glass, etc. They are not the brightest animals on the savanna.
- The ostrich has only 2 toes, whereas other birds have 3 or 4.
- The ostrich is the world’s largest bird but cannot fly. However, the ostrich can reach a top speed of 70 km/h.
Meet the ostriches on the Savannah.